View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTIS View Post
So I'm going to take some runners from the hydro plants and then try and transplant the hydro plant to soil and plant it outside. Whats the best way to take runners, and do I winterize them before or after I root them? Thanks.

OTIS
You'll want the runners to be able to grow roots first (not a lot, but just start), either in growing medium or potting soil. But soil can introduce diseases into your system (even when washed off). Let the roots start then cut the runner off and allow the plant and root system to grow into a medium sized plant. Then clean off the roots and trim the leaves off so all that's left is the crown and root ball. Then pack them in a small amount of moist sawdust in an mesh cloth bag, then refrigerate for about 2-4 months before replanting.

If I remember the articles correctly, it's 3-4 months, 6 months would be pushing it, and a year is not good. Although I have not tried to winterize mine yet, so I don't have first hand experience with how well they will keep. I have bought bare root (live plants) before, that is how they arrived. Packed in open mesh bags with a little sawdust. I do have some in the fridge that I bought from BloomingBulb and are about year old, but I have not tried to plant them.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-06-2010 at 02:36 AM.