View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 PM

That system is very similar to one I have plans to build myself. I attached the drawings of it that I created as a visual of the build. I do have some slight improvements planed that aren't in the images because I didn't feel like redoing them, but really only involve the way the overflow is setup. I got the idea from some strawberry's growing a while back and wanted to recreate something like it (I attached a picture of that too). I really liked the way the square tubing could be set on edge, allowing to offset the plants on both sides of the tube. That effectively allows me to double the amount of plants, but still have adequate spacing between them.

I am still looking for a cheaper source for the 4 inch square tubing I want, as well as longer pieces than what I have found. But even using the 4 inch square vinyl fence post tubing easily found at Home Depot and Lowe's it would still be much cheaper for me to build it than spend $500 plus tax and shipping on their 4 tube system. Don't get me wrong, if anyone feels better buying a pre-made system, go ahead. I just wanted to show a comparison in building VS buying.

So even using the expensive vinyl fence post tubing it would go something like this.

4, 4 inch wide vinyl fence post's, $15 ea for a 6 foot post ($60). I'm not really sure how much the end caps for the tubing run, but I'll figure they might be as high as $5 each (8x 5= $40). Then the through holes for both the overflow and inlet lines, the exact ones I like to use are $2 ea. 4 inlet, and 4 overflow ($16), although Here I will have some changes to what was planed, but it wont affect the cost much at all. Then black vinyl and/or blue hydro vinyl tubing (because it's light proof), $20-$40 worth should be plenty depending on the exact placement of the reservoir. Then miscellaneous "T" and elbow connectors for both the vinyl tubing, PVC tubing, as well as PVC tubing for the overflow system back to the reservoir, all together shouldn't run more than about $20-$30.

A fountain pump like the one I already have will work great for a system this size (even much larger), and runs $45 at Lowe's. Next is the wood for the stand to support the square tubing. Something like about 5, 2x4's and 2, 1x4's to rest the square tubing on, as as well as screws and wood glue to create a real sturdy base should run around $20-$30. Then lastly a reservoir, that can be anything from a $5 storage tote from Wal-Mart to a $10 32 gallon trash can from Wal-mart. So here's the estimate.

Vinyl fence post's............................................ ......$60
End caps.............................................. ...............$40
Through holes for both the overflow and inlet lines......$16
Black vinyl and/or blue hydro vinyl tubing...................$40 (high end)
Miscellaneous "T" and elbow connectors.....................$30 (high end)
Fountain pump.............................................. ........$45
Wood, screws, and wood glue for the stand...............$30 (high end)
Reservoir (32 gallon trash can is my choice)...............$10

Total estimate...........$271 or less

Building it myself will save me at least $230, not to mention shipping and handling costs. Plus I can customize it to the size and configuration I want.

Depending on the spacing you have for the holes for your plants, the amount of baskets (to place in the holes that hold the plants in) will vary. But depending on where you get them will probably run you about a $0.25 ea, 3" Net Cup.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.