View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM

I don't plan on using any other medium with the poly, though I have thought about perhaps placing a couple plastic rods through the nets pots to give a little solid support for the roots to grow around. The smaller plants won't have a problem with needing support (lettuce, oregano, ect.) For things like tomatoes, and basil I was thinking that a couple or more small plastic rods or stakes set through the net pot would be more than enough to support the plant from the poly compressing as they would take the wieght and not the poly. You could also use a couple zip ties and loop them through the holes in you pot or something along those lines to make a hammock to hold the plant wiehgt up, and to serve as a more solid means for your plant to root around.

If you use the nu-foam it is fairly rigid compaired to other forms of poly, but costs a little more. Though I have only given those options consideration if a problemm would arrise. The people who run STG use only the poly without additional medium or support.

I would only think you would have problems in a strong wind... In that case I would probably put a cover of the medium (which is good practice most of the time anyway) and perhaps you could use a plastic clip to place around the base and then have it tied off to the net pot on the sides.. Once the root mass takes over the pot the need for support will decline.