View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM

My first thought was either too strong or weak nutrient solution. However I don't bother with EC/TDS or PPM meters, so I don't know how that TDS reading relates to the manufactures mixing directions. For plants that small I would be using 1/2 to 3/4 strength nutrients myself. At the same time if you have recently been dealing with a pH problem, the spots you are seeing may just from that. Often times the results of nutrient problems (even from pH problems) wont be seen right away, and take a little of time to become visible (even if it's after the problem was fixed). Because as the plant tissue continue to grow, the damage that was done prior simply become more visible.

However I humidity and air temp can also be factors. Also there shouldn't be any need to balance calcium/magnesium levels. I assume your using manufactured nutrients. Manufactured nutrients are manufactured to be balanced in the first place. In the second place you would need to know what the calcium/magnesium levels were in order to alter them the direction you wanted. EC/TDS/PPM meters cant tell you the levels of individual elements. Altering the balance of your "balanced" manufactured nutrients, would be a trial and error endeavor, and you would only be able to add calcium/magnesium to your solution like with CaMg+ from general hydroponics, or with the individual element salts. But you wont be able to lower the levels of any element in your pre-manufactured nutrients. Unless you were using a 2 or 3 part nutrient, and used less of the part with calcium and/or magnesium in it. Even so, the EC/TDS and PPM meters cant tell you what the actual levels of each element are. Each time you change your nutrient solution, you know your starting with a "balanced" nutrient solution again.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.