View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
unfortunately, we have no such facilities here. The only way to know is to try as many varieties as i can and stick to the one that does well.

I also remember planting zinnias a long time ago having similar problems. stunted growing tips and curling leaves.
I understand perfectly well what you are talking about, having a tropical climate means that you have A+ growing conditions compared to some continental climate. But any sort of bugs and pests thrive and survive there even better. "If there are many rabbits to hunt, there will be many eagles and falcons as well, to compete with!

I also try to plant many species and varieties, to find out what resists and grows best. But what I also came to do, is understanding how to protect my crops against the greater threat. And the first thing to do is controlling carrier insects by spraying preventively some repellent (slightly poisonous) mix. Based on garlic, chili, black pepper, tobacco stems, neem and some fermented curare liana. Later is no real curare, but a light neurotoxin though. This measure prevents all sort of carrier and parasite insects from settling into cultures. These are to be avoided by all means, as they carry all the c**p. Be aware of ants as well, they tend to literary lodge blackfly cultures on- and under leaves of some plants! Green- and blacklies are also carrier of numerous plant deceases! Ants can be hindered to do this or chased away with diluted wood vinegar.

A very common measure in Thailand to control insects, is to have a so called "net-house". And remember also, "resistant" doesn't necessarily mean immunity... If some variety is supposed to be resistant, it will most probably only be resistant if in perfect shape. If already weakened by bugs and insects, - it may not be anymore.

Also, take the seasons in consideration - watch and take note during what season plants stay healthy or die, - which advantages and threats there are. What bugs are most active in what season, etc...

Good Luck,
Luches

Last edited by Luches; 11-14-2009 at 09:41 PM.