View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM

I would have to disagree with your assumption. As you already know the plant uses different nutrients in different amounts. I would not recommend running your nutrient solution for ANY more than 1 month. Now you can continue to use the same nutrient solution for a LONG time provided you know what the plants are using in the proper ratios and can add them back as needed. Just topping off the rez with plain water will cause several problems. First of all your TDS will continue to drop as you as add plain water. Now your using GH nutes which is great because they have pH buffers built in that do great provided your mixing your nutes in the proper ratios, there lies your second problem. As the plants deplete the nutrient solution of a specific nute it will throw off the ratio of nutes in the solution and therefore throw the pH off. If your serious about growing and plan to keep the strawberries going for a long time then with the proper research on the nutrient uptake of the strawberries combined with an TDS meter, I recommend a Hanna meter, then you can create a formula specific to strawberries that would allow you to add back the nutrients that the plants are using in the right amounts and maintain proper TDS and pH. There is alot to it and thats why most people change out the res every 2 weeks however its not a requirement. I'm no expert but have been growing hydro for 4 years and would be glad to help you as best I can. I understand the reason for wanting to use the same solution for a greater length of time because a 50 gal res is a pain to change out every 2 weeks. Good luck