Thread: NFT Lettuce
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I think this would make a great strawberry grow as well with florecent bulbs the lenght of the pool.
Yes, I've seen strawberry's growing in a water culture system and they looked healthy. I have always liked the floating raft water culture systems. Though I have a different system for growing strawberry's that I really want to get running as soon as I have the money.
Quote:
about the previuos post/roots dont rot when there wet all the time unless the water is to warm and there is no oxygen? root rot is just that you have created a hydro composter. cool the water add some air stones and those roots no mater how they come into conact with soltuion will be white and thrive
That's interesting, I know about the temp being to warm (I dealt with that before), and I understand why the need for the air stones in standing water. Although, I also understand that some plants like well drained soil and others are not so finicky. I guess for plants that like well drained soil you would suggest adding extra air stones to get more air to the roots (and extra or larger air pump of coarse)? I would never consider a water culture system for a root crop, but it would be interesting to see how it works out. It would be even more interesting if you could see the crop growing underwater, kind of like hybrid humans/aliens in the large test tubes in the sci fi flicks. I know that light needs to be blocked, but it would be cool if once and a while you could lift the skirt and take a peek.
Quote:
Years ago i bought a heater core for a chevy pick up. its all aluminum and plastic i put in just after the pump and placed a big computer styel cooling fan on it. I had a dayton air temp control that switched on and off a realy. i bent the thermometer down to touch the water in the resivoier and hooked the fan to its relay switch which i think was points contact like a fish heater.
Sounds similar to an idea that I have for a one room air conditioner. Using just the heater core or small/medium radiator, strapping a fan to it. Then filling an ice chest with ice water and pumping the ice water through the radiator/heater core. I don't think your setup would work for me because the air temp outside reaches 120+ in the summer here, but I would be interested in seeing how you had that system set up in case there are aspects I can use, and it might give me a idea or two.
Quote:
Now i build chillers out of wall shakers.
I tried looking up "wall shakers" but all I seem to get is furniture. I would be interested in seeing how you build these also.