Thread: NFT Lettuce
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txice View Post
A point for clarification to avoid any possible confusion...
I think you mean submerged? You are referring to situation(s) where the roots can thrive when completely under water given enough DO correct? I can't imagine where oxygen would be an issue for roots out of water unless the grow system was somehow air tight or something.
As you may have noticed, I am not a native writer in english language. Yes I meant submerged.
What I wrote is not about what you can hardly imagine, but about wet soil that is more compact and hence does not allow the same amount of root oxygenation. If we talk about wet feet we talk about water that remains for longer in soil and has poor oxygen content, and at the same time prevents soil to "breathe" as it is the case when soil is fluffy, moist but not completely saturated with water. And as we know, some plant's roots deal better with "wet feet" than others - still, the actual problem is not the water, but the lack of oxygenation for some plants' root types under water saturated soil conditions. This issue is actually well known and not something I've invented for the occasion

The other part is that any roots that are (completely) submerged in water, can only uptake oxygen which is dissolved in that water, - oxygen molecules that are present in H2O to be precise. To put it in simple words: the warmer the water, the less molecules can/will be dissolved in that water, no matter how much oxygen (by air pump/stone, mechanical means, etc.) you try to get in.

Point is, that we deal with two completely different environments and cannot transfer insight from one domain to another.

Last edited by Luches; 01-26-2010 at 12:36 PM.