Thread: NFT Lettuce
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercatwn6535nd View Post
So your saying the potato itself should not be in the nutrient? or it should be and there should be a space of about a foot betwwen where the potatoes grow and the root extending down to them.
I found the resource (PDF) from Brazil I was referring to, earlier. It's quite informative and complete, with concepts, designs and even a special potato formula! I basically look out for this kind of more scientific studies and projects. I trust them more than dozens of individual opinions based on what is called "selective observations" of some enthusiastic hobbyists. Also, I try to find intel from outside the Box!

PS: This is actually about "seed potato" production of specific genotypes and varieties. Hydroponic production of potato isn't exactly lucrative, neither on small, medium or large scale. Simply because they grow so well and easily in soil and have no high market value. Well, unless you combine hydroponic and soil culture, - or in case you have a small amount of a heirloom- or rare potato variety you want to multiply more quickly. Or for some other purpose that doesn't consider rentability in a common way. Rentability is a relative matter, also in this domain.

The Production of Seed Potatoes by Hydroponic Methods in Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OChydro View Post
The lettuce I bought from the nursery, rinsed off the soil as best I could is doing well in the aeroponic unit. In the future I will stick with this technique in the late fall and winter. I think the NFT lettuce will excel when the weather warms.
Have you considered changing the nutrient formula according to the climate? If your lettuce grows better and faster in aeroponics (under the same climatic conditions), it indicates that it is related to nutrient uptake. As we know, uptake is accelerated in areroponic systems. Most importantly, a "winter formula" for lettuce looks quite differently, it has notably more nitrogen (and less potassium) and the nutrient strength is somewhat higher. This principle is actually commonly accepted and often practiced by commercial growers. I believe you could easily improve your NFT results by simply modifying your nutrient formula and strength by the book. If you can, of course... Aeroponics for lettuce isn't very economical and compared to culture in NFT gullies, you basically have smaller setups that can only hold a few plants. Why having less production for higher energy cost, if you could improve results by changing nutrient strategy?

I know, for most people, hobbyists and even professional growers, nutrient formulas (their composition, the making or some modification) are still a thorn in their flesh and they prefer going and thinking by product and teaspoon per gallon. But unfortunately this behavior makes nutrient related problems difficult to discuss and to solve.