View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 AM

I see what you mean, I was wondering what those "T" were for exactly.

Quote:
you can plant any crop (rice, weat, barley or corn) very narrow. Unlike in soil, where there is need for much more "root space"
Yes, I was not really concerned with root space but rather the roots ability to support a plant that tall in such a short depth.

Quote:
Unlike in soil, where there is need for much more "root space" and where nutrients are (or if you like, uptake is) limited.
As far as I know, as long as the roots that are exposed to the nutrients and have access to what they need, they have no need to expand because they can uptake all they need without doing so. This means that the root space needed is much smaller.

Quote:
The "personal economics" (as yours) may be seen from a different perspective and having a different outcome, though... but do we really do this maths, every time we build or plan a setup or before planting a vegetable or crop?
In my opinion NO that is not an absolute consideration. If there is a crop that I am paying more for at the market like tomatoes at $3 a pound I would rather focus my efforts on them than one I can get at 5 for a dollar (that does not mean that I can get them that price all year). I also try to plan building a system to be reusable, making it more economical in future projects. I don't have a problem with designing a system to grow a crop that is more expensive to grow hydroponically, but strive to make it more economical in the future. Basically if I cant make it close in price to grow hydroponically, I wouldn't be doing anyone any favors (much less myself). It really all depends on your resources.

I personally don't grow hydroponically because it is cheaper (not that it cant be) but I do need to think about the economics of what I do because my funds are not unlimited. The more I know, the more economic I can make it.