Thread: Root color
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply, I had to get pic's also.

OK, if nutrient temp is not an issue, I would suspect the nutrients themselves.

1. What type of nutrients are you using? Gen Hydro dry grow only
2. Is the system a N.F.T.system? GH aeroponic 36
3. How often do you change the nutrients? Every 2-3 weeks, 45 gal in system.
4. Are you using an air pump and air stone to aerate the nutrients? No, should I, I have air pumps laying around.
5. Do you check the pH every day, and what is the pH level? Yes, pH 6.5 although it may range from 6 to 7. The EC of the solution is 1.6, 1120 ppm (Hanna 9813-6 meter calibrated regularly for pH and EC).
6. What plants are you growing?Lettace, broccoli, brussel sprouts, basil, arugula
7. How old are the plants? The brown one in the picture is old arugula, I think the problem is that it is old and the roots were in water that was too deep. In the pic of the newer plant the roots are white.
8. Have you flushed the system with FloraKleen to get rid of the accumulated fertilizer salts? No I haven't. I assume this doesn't apply to quick lettace crops but would be a good thing for the brussel sprouts and broccoli and artichoke over their 60-90 day growing period. How often should I flush the system and how many gallons should I make and how long should I run it before I drain it and mix up another 50 gallon nutrient solution as the crops mature?
9. Is there a lot of algae growing in the system?No

I just added an aquarium heater to the solution to keep the temp at 70 degrees, is this an ideal temp. I am in So. Calif.

This has turned into a big question, thanks so much for your help!
Art

I tried to attach jpegs, I couldn't tell if they made it as I composed this. I attached them through "Attach Files" and hit the upload button.