Thread: Root color
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 AM

Default roots cont.

Thanks for eveyones help. Just to bring this up to date.

-the baskets are literally 2 color, green on top and brown on the bottom. There is definitely no algae thank goodness.

-I cut off the brown roots and and new white ones are returning. They just turned brown for what ever reason.

-I will buy air stones tomorrow. They should be a nice help now and a huge help this coming summer.

-I will try to find some emitters to try in the laser line. As mentioned previously I'm sure there is an optimal water droplet size but at this point I am just looking to accomplish keeping the roots wet, wet, wet like suggested. I'll let you know if I find a good combination.

-This aeroponic system could be run as a deep water culture by keeping the water level high in the grow troughs and plenty of oxygen as you folks mentioned. The water level can also be lowered from full to about a 1/2 inch deep creating the aeroponic aspect and hence the name of the system. One of the drawbacks being though they the last sprayer hole or two in the laser cut line doesn't spray even close to the force or coverage the first 3 or 4 sprayer holes in the laser line do. Even if I find emitters to plug into the laser it will not be easy to break the system down as they will have to be pulled out of the line should I need to remove it for whatever reason. That said, I would not recommend this system because the troughs do not have lids and this makes it tough to clean and the laser cut sprays are not consistent, I did pull a line, clean and check it to make sure it wasn't clogged before I put it back together and observed it. They want big money for these troughs and there really is nothing to them.

I have been checking out CropKing systems. They have an NFT system where you can buy just the troughs, lids (easy to clean), spouted and not spouted end caps, plus a couple of other little items for a far cheaper price. I then plan on using the existing reservoir and pump. Of course being NFT there are no tiny emitters to deal with and water levels are of no concern as the nutrient solution just runs from on end to the drain on the other. Check out their website as they are a big ass company.

Art