Thread: Root color
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I have been checking out CropKing systems. They have an NFT system where you can buy just the troughs, lids (easy to clean), spouted and not spouted end caps, plus a couple of other little items for a far cheaper price.
Yes CropKing has been around for quite a few years, I still have one of there catalogs from 1999. Although as you noticed commercially made systems generally cost some coin. I have found that it is much easier and cheaper to build my own systems. I understand not everyone is comfortable doing that for whatever reason. Though if you understand the different systems, and what makes them work, you can build a system out of just about anything.

Example: I am planing to build a 128 plant system that I designed for strawberry's (pictures attached). I estimate it will cost less than $300 to build, including the plants (I wont be using seeds), growing medium, baskets, water pump, air pump, vinyl tubing, wood for the stand and all the rest of the parts. The picture shows a 64 plant system, I will be building two of these. I have a 32 gallon trash can I got at Walmart for $10 that I will be using for the reservoir for the both of them. It's designed as a flood and drain system but with one small change it's easily converted into a N.F.T. system.
Attached Images