Thread: Root color
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 02:06 AM

Default Responding to posts.

I think GH had there own set of problems. It really isn't a true aero system because the sprays from the laserline don't effectively wet the baskets in the beginning, hence the need for flooding the tubes to wet the young plants and then having to slowly reduce the water level until the roots are dangling in the 1/2 in. of nutrient solution in the tube. It is a bit of a hassle and requires pretty much that all 6 holes must be planted at the same time. This problem is easily solved by the pictures you posted and my own experience today. I drilled a 1.5 in. hole for access next to the last plant basket opening in the tube. I then drilled a small hole in the laser line and installed a mister, the kind that has a spinner. It works great! Problem solved. I then saw the posted picture with the same 5x5 in. vinyl tube with the multiple spaghetti tubes in it. By the way, it is a fence post for vinyl fences available from HomeDepot but they aren't cheap, $40 plus end caps.

KevinL drilled holes between the baskets put in the spaghetti tubing off a poly tube and there is probably misters on the end. I think I will do this and abandon the laser line. I'll run one poly tube between 2 tubes and feed them both off it. I will use the the existing nutrient drains back into the reservoir. I will end up with an aeroponic system with the run off being essentially an NFT system. I guess this is the best of both world. This way the roots will be wetted (baskets misted) when first placed in the tubes and no roots have grown out the basket. I won't have to worry about water depth any more. Then as the roots grow and eventually grow out of the basket they will be sprayed and eventually dangle into the nutrient film as it flows downhill to the return and into the reservoir. There will be no need for air stones which would get clogged with roots in deep water culture. Also, won't the spraying action of the misters incorporate much more O2 into the solution and ultimately make the O2 question moot? Let me know.

With all of your inputs I must say thanks so much. I think with the changes outlined above my aero system will be working about as optimally as possible. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

The plants in the system were bought at the local nursery, washed off as much dirt as possible and then planted them in the baskets with the Coco Tek liners and then finished filling with Hydroton. I was able to remove almost all of the dirt on real small plants and not so much on older plants. They are all thriving. I am now sprouting seeds and will move them into 1 in. rockwool cubes and into the 4 NFT channels I purchased from CropKing. They are relatively inexpensive. I haven't been able to piece together anything else that will do shallow NFT for any cheaper. If anyone else has let me know. I will use this system for green leafy veggies, I may try another veggie just for the heck of it.

I am interested in the strawberry system you are building GpsFrontier. What are you using for tubes and are you using the small baskets with liners and hydroton? Is your system going to be like the tube pictured with the polyline and spaghetti tubes and misters etc? You also said you won't be sprouting the strawberries, what/how/where are the plants coming from etc... Please let me know.