View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
Luches. I usually do one or two different Heirlooms a year, just to see if maybe there's something I will like and do regularly. I tend to like my tomatoes done in the soil tho. More of a buffer, and less chance of bottom rot. I'm sure I'll do tomatoes in a Hydro system again, but definitely not in a NFT. Probably in a perilite tube.
I guess that this is a good approach. As I am doing some research in this field, I actually do lots. What I already found is that having access to great variety and diversity is a good thing on one hand, but overrated on the other. A tomato is still a tomato and even if they taste slightly differently have more or less flavor - more sweetness or more acidity, - they all taste like tomatoes!
In other words: as soon as I've found a tomato that produces well, has a decent taste and flavor, a pleasant color and is robust and resistant for my climate - I'll probaly settle for it and drop the other 14999

Another example: I've got 32 varieties of Amaranth to select the "best" varieties from. Some growing as high as 4 meter (12 foot) supposed to producing over a pound of grains per plant. Others will not even reach 2 foot but are very early. Grain and leaf varieties, some for sprouts, some are traditionally used with tamales, others for popped seeds used in muesli. Some are highly decorative but less productive, etc., etc... What a task.... I actually wish I had only got a few...