View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Hi again Errol,
Sorry for the delay, but as I live in some sort of country under technological development, I had no internet connection for some 12 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
I have a list of recommended ECs from my local hydroponic supplier which I've been using ie

Bean 2.0-4.0
Beetroot 1.8-5.0
Capsicum 1.8-2.2
Carrots 1.6-2.0
Cucumber 1.7-2.5
Leek 1.4-1.8
Strawberries 1.8-2.2
Tomatoes 2.0-5.0
According to my previous explanations, one could hopefully deduce that about plant nutrition, nutrient concentration, EC, PPM and such, there are several levels of understanding. Hence there are several levels of recommendations as well

On an advanced level the actual PPM of each element which is needed by a specific plant is considered firstly - total EC is secondary (and actually a result of the later data). When seen from such perspective, PPM (gram/liter) of each single raw materials used (not elements) will then result in a specific EC.

Hence, any EC recommendations (as in total concentration) for specific plants are actually pure nonsense - if not linked to a formula or a specific product. Without knowing the actual PPM content of each element of a nutrient, a recommendation of a EC could either be close enough or completely false.

It may help pointing someone into the right direction, you'd add? Well it may help, - but it may lead into erroneous reasoning and practise as well. Unfortunately lead to erroneous argumentation also

Quote:
The supplier told me tomatoes should have a minimum EC of 3.0 if they were to have any taste, otherwise they'd be watery and tasteless. But I think he might know more about marijuana (that's what most of his customers grow!) - my tomatoes have always been quite tasty at 2.0.
Rome to the Romans and tomatoes to the Neapolitans
I guess taste of tomatoes is linked (lets say) 80% to genetics. I'm growing a marble sized 'wild' indigenous tomato variety which beats Marianna's Piece, Oaxacan Jewel and even some russian specialties in flavor. Grown in earth it unfortunately tastes slightly bitter. But grown in Hydro (in actually quite low nutrient concentration) it is as rich in flavor as grown in dirt and notably less bitter.

Quote:
The recommended pH for most of the plants I grow is closer to 6.0-6.5 than the 7.0 I usually run, so maybe I'd better get that down too.
I STRONGLY recommend to get and keep PH between 6 and 6.5, otherwise you will run into iron deficiency, followed by (over 7) boron, coper zinc!

Just wait the PH reading of your new formula, it actually should get you a lower PH (at least somewhat).

PS: temperatures here have been around 30-33 since end of May, only a few days with heavy monsoon rains were cooler. Before (April and May) they were much higher... Though, November, December January and half of February, day temperatures range between 20-25° C and not a single raindrop for 3-4 month. Anyway, that means less than 3 months to grow ripe tomatoes from seed to ripe fruit outdoors! Same for capsicum and many others. 365 days a year top growing season

Last edited by Luches; 10-10-2009 at 07:15 AM.