View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
What nutrients are best for use with coco coir?
The coco coir or coco chips wont make a difference to what nutrients you use. Because the coco coir does not have any nutrients in it, so it cant affect the nutrients you use. It's also pH neutral so it wont affect any pH stabilizers or adjusters in your nutrient solution. You just want to make sure it is rinsed real well. I understand they use salt in processing it, and most manufactures rinse it well before they package it. I rinse it well myself just to be sure, and to take as much of the color out as I can. The color wont hurt anything, but I try to get as much out as I can anyway.

I could be wrong but as far as the hybrid NFT system , I was basically picturing the regular trash bags with as much growing medium as you wanted in them. Tie it closed, make a bunch of holes in the bottom so it can wick up the nutrient solution, then lay the bags in the rain gutters with the holes on the bottom of the gutters, making sure it is situated so that it's sturdy and wont fall out. Then make a small hole in the top to place the plant in.