View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM

Just ran across this today while I was going through some things I had bookmark, so I just thought I would add it into the mix.

Hydroponics (By, Oklahoma State University) Take note of the section titled "Soil versus Hydroponics" at the bottom left of page 3.

(I quote)
"There is no physiological difference between plants grown hydroponically and those grown in soil. In soil, both the organic and inorganic components must be decomposed into inorganic elements before they are available to the plant. These elements adhere to the soil particles and are exchanged into the soil solution where they are absorbed by plants. In hydroponics, the plant roots are moistened with a nutrient solution containing the elements. The subsequent processes of mineral uptake by the plant are the same" (End Quote)

I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary. The plants don't know they are in a hydroponic system, all they do is respond to the environment (growing conditions) they are given. If the plants are ever lacking anything (soil or hydro), just change the growing conditions in a way that will result in the desired effects. Though that's much easier to control in hydro.