View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 05:15 AM

Thanks fintuckyfarms,
Yes, that's exactly the same filter canisters I used. Right down to the same price, and including that little battery operated timer that's supposed to tell you when it's time to change the filter. Though I just throughout the timer thing. Since all it actually does is just lights up after a preset time period. But I saved the battery's for it, it came with good AAA batteries (energizer I think). The water quality you get out of it just depends on how many filters you use, as well as the kind you choose. In my case I am using 4 in series. The first one is the pre-filter to filter out sediment/particles that can clog the other filters. Then the next two are carbon filters to get a lot of the excess minerals/chemicals. The last one is a absolute 1 micron filter to get out any spores and/or that made it that far.

You can customize the system to take out as much as you want by just changing, or adding filters for specific elements. Charcoal filters attract many dissolved minerals and chemicals. Ion filters attract/trap specific dissolved mineral elements. A lot of carbon filters have ion exchange imbedded in them as already (in the more expensive ones anyway). Ion exchange looks like little plastic beads. There is a wide variety of filter cartridges available, and they fit the standard cartridge housings, so it's simple to swap them out.

P.S
fintuckyfarms already posted pictures of the cartridges and housings, but heck I took pictures of the ones I bought a while back, so I attached them for the heck of it too since I already have them. The one showing 0.5 micron is the one micron filter. Once you figure in the 0.5 tolerance too that makes 0.5+0.5=1, for an absolute one micron. Witch is necessary to catch spores
Attached Images