View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mater View Post
Went out and changed the light's to a 3000k, lowest i could find atm. I know it's just a bandaid.
I don't think that is the answer either, now with the planted tanks we often mix up the spectrum a bit to give the plants a broader range of light they can use. I will ask my buddy over at GreenLady hydroponic (<--- my local hydro store) what spectrum he likes in florescent light bulbs.

-------Minutes Later-------

Ok I just spoke to Dave and he is recommending you run 6400 k bulbs! What do I know...lol

I think you said you where running 6500k's...I will look around a little bit on this.

Your nutrient levels, don't know, but I like running 1100ppm max. drops down to 900 no biggie. I am only running a 35 gallon res at the moment, so it drains out in 4 days or so.

FloraMato, mine says that it is a one part Dry Nutrient, and I use it as such. Though I do amend it with other goodies.

Now for rinsing...not just you reservoir but your plants too. When using salt based nutrients that you and I are both running, it is important to flush out not only the reservoir, the container the plants are growing in, but the roots of the plant themselves. There is something called "Nutrient Lockout" which can effect the plants ability to absorb the nutrients in the nutrient mix. Something about salt crystals clinging to the root, blocking absorption. One of the other guys here might be able to give you a better explanation.

You and I grow in the same containers, the Bato Buckets...remember that little reservoir in the bottom, that needs to be changed over, the media rinsed off (more or less) and the roots themselves. (You are running the elbos in the bottom of the bucket right?) Personally I fill my res. over night (it takes my R.O. unit about 8 hours to make 35 gallons), then allow it to run through a day, then I add fresh water. Only once a month do I actually clean out the reservoir.

Flush weekly
Clean reservoir monthly

Todd