View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I also have come up with a 3 part plan to help ensure that pathogens like E.coli, S.enteriditis, and the Norwalk virus, that is commonly present when growing vegetables.
I'm not sure what this statement means for sure, but I'm guessing you feel you have a way to eliminate common viruses that are generally a result from the methods used to extract minerals from animal waste?

Quote:
but before we talk about that, I want t talk about biota build up ( you know that brown slimy stuff we sometimes find in our systems)
I believe you are clearly misunderstanding the definition of "biota" by your statements. First of all you are stating that any living organism is defined as "biota," and by default that means that any brown, green, yellow, red, slime/organism etc. is "biota," and thus is beneficial. When that clearly is not the case.

The definition of biota is:

biota /bi·o·ta/ (bi-ōītah) all the living organisms of a particular area; the combined flora and fauna of a region.

This does not specify color, nor does it specify whether it is a beneficial organism, or a pathogenic organism. The term "biota" only states that there is a unknown type of living organism in a given area (ecosystem). So calling anything living in an area is technically "biota," that still doesn't define weather it's a good organism or a bad one that is living in that area. So even though calling the brown slime is technically correct by calling it biota, it's completely wrong to assume it is a beneficial organism just because it's living. And that's is where your confusion of the definition begins. Brown slimy stuff could just as easily be a buildup of pathogens, but still fall under the definition of living organisms (biota) in a given area (ecosystem), but not be beneficial to the plants at all.

Quote:
Well this stuff is evermore present in organic hydroponics than synthetic hydroponics.
Well by definition biota (any living organism) will defiantly be more present in organic growing vs using synthetic fertilizers. The simple fact is that plants cant absorb nutrients unless they are broken down into the RAW CHEMICAL ELEMENT first. And organic growing relays on microorganisms (living organisms/ and not defined as good or bad) to break down the organic mater into the raw chemical elements the plants can absorb. So therefore if the organic mater is going to be useable to the plants, living organisms need to be there to break it down. With synthetic nutrients, there is no need to break it down, because it is already broken down. Therefore there is no need for the living organisms to do the job.

Quote:
Excess biota will clog everything!! Well this is one of the reasons why we flush and clean our systems not to mention it helps to get rid of the bad things that may be lurking in our systems,
But this is a contradiction. Every other time you use the term "biota" it is a beneficial organism. Why is it suddenly a bad thing if there are more living organisms than you plan on? What if there is less than 100,000 in each gallon of water it is considers beneficial, but if the numbers reach more than that their suddenly considered a bad thing? No, that's not how it works.

Quote:
Its simple it has to be heated, to 135F to 150F for 10 to 15 days this is called thermophilic composting will kill any pathogens that the compost may have?
Yes heat will kill the pathogens, but at the same time it ill kill the beneficial organisms as well. This leaves the compost sterile, and subject to easy inoculation of any organisms (beneficial or pathogenic) that are introduced later (through any typical means like air borne or water born). It's only sterile as long as it's above temperature.

P.S.
One of the key features of compost tea is the living microbes. Do you have a plan to keep them alive in the compost tea until you use the compost tea? Or will they die within days while the compost tea is in storage before you get a chance to use it? That's the single biggest reason I haven't ventured into making compost tea, I haven't learned how to store the unused portions effectively yet.