View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGogs View Post
i dont want to butt in but i dont understand, why would you use metal halide and hps lamps at the same time. when you can buy a dual spectrum 600w or1000w lamp.
you can also buy them with cool tubes or units that have ducting flanges on to vent the heat away with an extraction fan from the lamp itself, instead of the room.
i have never liked metal halide, the spectrum is the very top of the vegetation scale, it will cause very tall and thin tomato plants etc, the hps is at the very top of the flowering scale. it is like changing seasons, use the metal halide to grow the plant, and once you want to bear fruit swap it with the hps, you have tricked your plant in to thinking that the season or time is right to bear fruit. led lights are a waste of time, to copy our sun you need very strong light with lots of power behind it.
I am not using the MH and HPS at the same time. I have one fixture and two bulbs one MH and one HPS. The idea is that I would start with MH until I am about to hit the flowering stage and then I would run HPS for the rest.