View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
although it's more effort than it's worth. Sometimes I spend hours outside trying to get the level right. So it works, only if you're willing to put in the effort. I'm going to get it changed soon, it's really annoying because last night I was outside until 2AM making sure it didn't overflow.
Yes, exactly. You will never be able to get it to work the way you want. Think of it like this, If you have one gallon of water flowing in, and less than that flowing out, it's just a mater of time before it overflows. You can adjust it as much as you want, but all your doing is changing the amount of time before it overflows. The only way you can keep it from eventually overflowing is to have the same amount of water exiting as you have going in. So the only way you can keep that valve from eventually overflowing your system, is to make sure it is open enough so the same amount of water is going out as you have being pumped in. That makes the valve useless because you can do that with nothing but a straight piece of tubing.

I'm assuming your using the same system you posted pictures of before, and the design is still the same. I made some drawings to show you how I would setup an overflow system in your system. It's quite simple, just get an end cap for the tubing (about $2). Then get two one inch PVC connectors. One a male connector like this PVC connector and one female connector like this one. Cut a hole in the center of the end cap just big enough to stick the threaded side of the male connector through it. You may need to use a spacer when you tighten it down to get it to snug down. The threads on PVC connectors are tapered, and don't go all the way on. They just get tighter until their too tight to screw on anymore. Once you have them tightly in place you should glue it in place as well. I like using pluming goop. Most hardware stores carry it, but the cheapest place I have found it is at Wal-Mart. Our Wal-Mart sells it in the pluming department for $3.94.

Now cut a opening in the top of the "T" connector in your system so you can access the overflow tube that will be inside. Then glue the end cap in place. Don't glue the overflow tube that's inside the "T" connector so you can change it at will. If you want the water level in the system to be higher, just make the overflow tube longer. If you want to lower the water level, just cut the overflow tube shorter. As long as the overflow tube is at least twice as wide as the water line feeding the water into the system, you wont have water backing up in the system and you wont need to constantly be watching to make sure it doesn't overflow on you.
Attached Images