View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Goodbye.

You've talked me into leaving this site.
Sorry you feel that way,
you have definitely misunderstood my intentions. True I was not sugarcoating my words, and simply just spoke straight forward. But my "little questions throughout" were not meant to be insulting, they were meant to make people think about all the contributions that were made from people that were not afraid to try. Even when they only got flack from all their friends and family's for doing so (I don't see trying as wrong). Personally I get that type of flack all the time, but when they see what I was talking about (when they see it built), they understand and pretend like they knew it would work all the time. That kind of thing wears thin on me, so I just don't feel like sugarcoating it. And the comparisons of using one product for a different purpose was also not meant to be insulting, but was meant to take a look at how general that comparison can be if someone wanted it to be. That's why I asked "how far do you take that thinking" (because I really don't know). I have talked to so many people that take that kind of thing to extremes, that it's just ridicules. But never-the-less, that's their true beleif. That's why I gave the example of my mom yelling at me for using a dish towel for the counter and hands (as an example of that type of extremes).

By the way, as long as it's brought up. To be honest using terms like "Saturday Night Rigging," "jury-rigged" and referring to "homemade" equipment just being a problem waiting to happen, well I have to say that was all insulting to me. As well as "temper that path of reasoning when it's offered as advice to others unless you're also willing to risk their lives and property," that suggests that I have no regard for the lives of others, and I take that as a "major" insult towards me. Even going beyond an insult, that's saying I have no character or ethics, and really cuts me to the bone. Talk about getting pissy, I have no idea why you would even want to make such a statement towards me, but I'm still offended by it.

Also this statement "If you choose to disregard common sense" is also insulting to me, but just like the type of flack I run into all the time, that just shows that it's only based on your own ability's (not mine), and your obviously just perceiving your ability's onto me. That's not meant to be insulting, but just straight forward (I am not you). Also 99.8% of the people who read this forum are home gardeners, not businesses. Keep in mind that only about 2% to 3% of the people who read them even register much less even post anything. They register just to see the pictures. Why? because hydroponics is new to them and there looking for ideas. Same goes for the ones that don't register, except they don't feel that taking the time to register is worth it to see the pictures.

As for the comparison about building your own greenhouse, again that was not meant to be insulting. But it was meant to point out that sometimes things can happen (even when not intended). And sadly in today's society most people are just out to assign blame on others, and then just sew people. Instead of taking responsibility for not using their "own" common scene. So in the absence of a manufacture to blame, the blame would be placed on the person who built it. It may be a one in a thousand fluke, but that's what you focus on with regard to someones house burning down. So I just brought it up as another thing to worry about, as long as you were looking for things to worry about anyway.

I was not assuming that you didn't have the ability to build one that was safe, but by the same comparison does not imply that everyone can either. That's my point about ones 'own" comfort level in their "own ability's" when it comes to building something. By the same token just because you are uncomfortable about building something to operate safely, does not mean that everyone is limited by that same knowledge and comfort level either. The way I see it, it's just wrong to assume nobody else can either.

I have no problem with pointing out possible problems (I will always do the same), but at the same time it's only paranoia to just assume that just because you either herd of, or read about something bad happening to someone else, that everyone else is destined for the same mistake. You here about the one mistake, but you never here about the thousand's of successes. If you only want to focus on the negative and be paranoid, then that's what you wind up with. It would be much more wise to learn from that mistake, find out exactly what the problem was and take measures to eliminate it (seems like "common sense" to me).

I don't need to call a fan company to ask what would happen if you restrict the air flow. I'm not even disagreeing with you there (I actually agree with you on that if you haven't noticed), so I don't know why that is even mentioned. However do disagree that it's simply impossible to duct air flow from a fan without restricting the air flow. Obviously I have spent more time at Home Dept and Lowe's looking at, and asking questions about all the options they have in ducting connectors and ducting tubes. There's simply no reason a tube the same shape, and/or larger size than the output of the fan in the first place will restrict the air flow. And again there are hundreds of options in fans to choose from, they come in all different shapes sizes. So it's easy to find a fan that works with what's available locally to them.

Then if there are still any questions about safety, there are even many options for inline fuses, heat senors and thermostats that will prevent any possible overheating of any device, even environment (if necessary). Yes 30+ years (sorry not 58) of building things without any safety problems (well except a few jolts of electricity now and again) has thought me a lot about doing so. So despite your insult, "my common scene" is alive and well. But regardless, again I say that I'm sorry that you feel like you don't want to be part of the forum community.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-15-2010 at 07:58 AM.