View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM

Well, blossom drop continues. Some of the buds looked like they were going to open to flowers but decided to fall off. I'm suspecting nutrient problems. Although, the plants look nice and healthy!

Background: I'm using Masterblend tomato fertilizer with CaNO3 and MgSO4.
By the directions and labeling online as well as the packaging, it says mix 1 ounce (fertilizer and 1 ounce CaNO3) per 3 gallons. My scale weighs in grams. 1 ounce is about 28.3 grams. I round up to 29. 29 grams per 3 gallons is approximately 9.66 grams a gallon.

I redid the reservoir tonight and filled only to 12.5 gallons (they aren't drinking that quick yet). For the 12.5 gallons, I added 120 grams (12.5 x 9.66) of fertilizer and 120 grams of CaNO3. The MgSO4 requirement is about 1/2 of the fertilizer so I added 60 grams. Everything dissolved perfectly with no residue floating around.

EC of my tap water is .6-.7 depending on the season. I know I should use RO water but at the rate I keep changing out these reservoirs, that would get kinda pricey. Any who, starting EC was .7 today and after I mixed all my fertilizers in the final EC was about 4.65 +/- .05. I've thought my meter was off but I've recalibrated and it's reading of everything else (RO water, tap water, etc) is just fine. This seems super high and I'm thinking that this is my bud killer.

Any thoughts? I'm tempted to dump some RO water (EC .02) into it just to dilute it. I think I can get 4.5 gallons of RO in the reservoir which would lower the EC to (theoretically) 3.38 EC.