View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Just to let you know,
you can add the pictures as an attachment, that way they wont blow the page out of proportion with wise. Also it makes thumbnail pictures that you can click on to view the full size picture, that way the thread does not wind up being a mile long. When writing the post, just scroll down the page a little to the section titled "Additional Options " then click on the button "manage attachments" click the browse button and attach the file. You can attach up to 20, 5 at a time to each post.

The lettuce plants are bolting. Lettuce is a cool weather plant, when the weather warms up they figure they are about to die. So they elongate (bolt) upward in an attempt to flower and seed before they die. You should try to keep the temperature in the low 70's, but no more than 80 degrees max. The leaves are still editable though. Just cut them off one by one, soak them in cool water in the sink, then towel dry and put in a Ziploc bag in the frig. Some say they can be a little bitter, but that's what I did and I didn't notice that.

Also I use natural light so I don't have first hand knowledge of artificial lighting. But as I understand it, lettuce is a low light requirement plant. Meaning that they don't need a lot of light intensity, and actually do better with low intensity lighting.