View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I haven't herd that myself but guess it's possible. Though if that is the case, I would think they are not getting enough light from the orange and red end of the spectrum. In nature their always present, it just gets a stronger red the later in summer it gets. Even though the bulbs you have say they are full spectrum that doesn't mean it puts out a lot of light from all the different colors in the spectrum, it may be putting out hardly anything from the orange and red ends. I could be wrong but I don't think replacing one for the other will produce good pepper plants either though.
First time I had run across it myself, but seemed logical. Here is an excerpt from what I had found: "If the plants are trying to either carry a heavy crop load of preexisting fruit on the plants or trying to produce more vegetative growth at the same time as flowering, then the plant may sacrifice the flowers in favor of more leaf development. In this case, pruning of the plant may help this process swing back in favor of flowering and fruit set." Hey...it's posted on the interwebs...gotta be true right?? None the less...after I read it I just had one of those "hrmm...I can buy that I suppose" moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I know that some people use only the hps lights for the entire plants life. How well that works for peppers I'm not sure. Personally I would think using both metal halide and high pressure sodium in conjunction with each other would provide the best light for both vegetative growth and fruiting growth at the same time, at least for the first half of the pepper plants life, then switching over to all HPS after that. Then again I use natural light, so I don't need to deal with what spectrum's and intensity the light is putting out, just the weather.
Yeah...thought about that as well. No funds for another ballast at the moment though . This next time though I think I'm going to save a tad extra and actually get a bigger ballast. Of course the guy at the hydro store wanted to sell me a 1000W ballast. Not sure if I want to go quite that big, but I think I could benefit from at least going to a 600W.