View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGogs View Post
so you are telling me that led is better than metal halide and metal halide is better than hps.
how on earth do you come to that conclusion.
metal halide is used to grow in a vegetative state, and hps for flowering.
this is the first time i have heard this one.
so the dutch have very tall and skinny plants, as they dont use hps.
how do the plants flower then.
How do I come to that conclusion? Years of professional testing as part of my duties as research director for a large multi-national horticultural company.

Go look at the sun? Does the sun change spectrum for flowering and vegging? No. Why should your lights? The overall insolation at sea level remains the same from red to blue, it's just weaker during the fall and winter. This red for flower and blue for veg mythos is simply that - a myth. NASA studies showed that plants grown under pure red light produced very little, and that blue was needed.

Further independent studies (mostly from the company I work for before I was ever hired on) showed that blue was a heavy deciding factor in overall yield. Blue wavelengths are the only ones with enough energy potential to trigger large biomass production. I did cannabis flowering under almost pure blue lighting and got better buds than red-dominant flowering.

I will wager that you're still looking at LED panels with massive amounts of red versus blue, and that's where your conclusions are coming from.

Everyone's copying NASA and SolarOasis research, and not trying to forge ahead, just make a buck.

Last edited by hydrophotobio; 05-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.