View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Summer 2013 update

Getting ready to set up the hydro for this summer. Starting a little late cuz I had to build my chicken run and believe it or not this hydro girl actually planted in soil. I have a salsa container garden and started a 10'ish by 20'ish garden plot in my pasture. I also am going to try the potato towers. I've started the seeds for the hydro so it must go up this weekend. Trying to balance my needs with the fair display is always hard plus the "Plant a row for the hungry" is also taking up some of my time. Going to still do the two towers, one in herbs and one in flowers. Will also do the double verticle system with strawberries and other veggies. Thinking about trying corn again maybe in a kiddie pool, IDK... It is just too hot at fair for most salad type vegies but I will be starting my barrel system since it's my favorite! Looking hard at GPS Frontier verticle pipe system, have seen a couple arround and I am interested. I finally settled on the greenhouse I want to build. Will be a double layer hoophouse with the two layers inflated and two solid ends with windows and sliding glass doors. I want to try the geothermal cooling system that GPS Frontier built and I am looking at a sawdust stove to heat it in the winter. My youngest is wanting to try his hand at aquaponics so temp control will be a must.
I am also growing fodder for my chickens and turkeys. Just learning as I go but so far sucess and they love it. The hardest part is finding the seeds because most grains in my area are treated to not sprout. Right now I am just sprouting a pasture grass mix and some black beans from the grocery store. They eat the whole thing and ask for more.

So what is everybody else growing???