View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM

I started this thread a long time ago and hadn't received any reply's, so I e-mailed my question to General Hydroponics a day or two later. They told me this white residue was from the salt buildup. Also that the bleach solution would sanitize the grow rocks but wont get rid of the salt buildup. They also said that the only thing that will get rid of it was the FloraKleen, I didn't know if that was just a sales pitch or not, but had nothing else to go on. I also thought about using CLR but didn't (and still don't) want to risk the plants and grow rocks on untested products because there may be chemicals that cant be washed out in these that will be toxic to the plants.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity are we talking about this "white residue" being more like hard water stains or something...or are we perhaps looking at more like a salt residue/build up from the nutrients?
Although you get residue from water (especially hard water) I believe it's basically the same thing. Although with nutrients there are many more elements in it to build up, and may also be different colors depending on what elements are building up exactly. I attached the same pictures that I e-mailed to General Hydroponics with my question.
Attached Images