View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM

I don't really use rockwool for anything other than the 1 inch starter cubes my self. The way I understand it about root vegetables is that it's not just about the particle size, but also the overall weight/density of the growing medium (overall texture) as well. Basically that with no resistance (weight/density) in the growing medium pushing back, the root veggies grow deformed. However I have never put that to the test, this was my first experiment with a root vegetable. That's just from what I have read about root veggies and hydroponics.

I agree about the possibility of sprayers clogging with aeroponics. So I already know/plan on doing regular maintenance in such a system, and likely will have redundant spray heads, as well as quick replacements handy. Although if I go with a true aeroponic system (high pressure spraying a fine mist), I think there will be less of an issue due to the high pressure at the mist heads (about 90 psi). But as with any system, I would plan on building a smaller scale system to work out the bugs first.

P.S.
You mention growing chives in hydro, here is an article written by Dr. Lynette Morgan in 2003 about growing Hydroponic Chives.

Hydroponic Chives

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-30-2011 at 05:09 AM.