View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I also got enough 6" pipe for two systems so one I think will be a NTF with net cups
I thought the strawberries were going to be in a vertical tube? NFT systems are horizontal.

Glad your not allergic to strawberries. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. But I really only like them when their ripe. When I used to drive trucks, I picked up new cars to delver to dealerships. I was at the port in Oxnard (CA) at least once a week. They had dozens of strawberry fields all over the place there. I would always stop and pick up a flat when I was headed by my moms house in AZ (where I live now), because I knew she liked fresh ripe strawberries also. We don't get strawberries like that anymore now that I'm not driving anymore , nobody grows them around here. Well until I can expand my hydro farm into growing commercial strawberries too, along with many other crops.

I'm sure there were parts of AZ. that got snow like near flagstaff and much of northern AZ like the grand canyon. But we only got rain, and some small hail. Though some of the higher ridges around here may have gotten some snow that melted early the next day. I warped up work on the greenhouse Sunday about dark (6:30-7pm) because my finger tips were freezing from working with buckets of water and the wind chill. I came in to find out the outside temp was 45 degrees at that time. I had to go back out and put the water filter system in the garage because I didn't want to chance letting it freeze through the night.

The real test for the sub T system will be during the heat of mid summer here. I'm anxious too, as well as a bit nervous about my construction of it because it's the hart of the greenhouse cooling system. Not to mention a prototype for future greenhouses I build for the business. So there's a lot riding on how well my construction of it works. I know I can improve it. But until I see the actual numbers of how well it's working, I wont have anything to compare the goal to.

P.S.
Sinking the greenhouse in the ground a few feet is a good way to control temps. That wasn't going to work for me for a few reasons though. First is because the foundation and side walls of the in-ground portion would be drastically different, but even more of a concern much more expensive. Also things like excess water drainage (pluming) a sunken-in area will be a problem (cost more) as well. Second is because I built the greenhouse at my moms house I needed to make it fairly easy to remove, thus not a permanent structure. Third, not to mention I wouldn't even been able to sink it in the ground if I wanted to with the phone line running directly underneath it. Forth, with 3 levels I need all the light I can to be able to get inside to the plants, and blocking light from the bottom few feet would have significantly reduced the amount of light the plants inside got. Well unless the overall greenhouse height was increased by the same amount, (thus have the same above ground height). That's just my current situation, but under different circumstances, even sinking it one foot would help temperature control.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-20-2012 at 07:40 AM.