View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 AM

We don't really have constant winds, but we do get some really strong winds too. It can be dead still for days, then 40-50 mph winds the next. The footings of the stands can be altered to make a wider footprint. Like adding a "A" frame to both sides/ends of the multiple tube support, or widening the round base on the ground for the single tube support. One thing I do is to add weight. In the past I have taken some old pillow cases and filled them about half way with rocks as a weight. Kind of like using sand bags. I also have a cement brick that is really a bag of cement that got left out in the rain, got wet, and is now just a cement weight/brick/doorstop. I use it to weigh things down. You can see the cement bag/brick on the tabletop, and the old pillow cases with rocks weighing down the PVC trellis around my old tomato setup. If you don't have any old pillow cases, you can usually find them real cheep at garage sales or thrift/second hand stores. The rocks are free from our backyard. Not the prettiest fix, but it works for me.

P.S.
I added a some pictures of the system drew up for the system I plan to grow strawberry's in. There aren't any measurements in the drawings, but the hole spacing, as well as tube spacing is planed to be about 10-12 inches apart on center. That would give each strawberry plant 5-6 inches to grow on each side before being crowded. The larger multi level one is just a much larger version of the smaller one that I plan to build for growing them commercially. I do have a couple of updates that aren't in the drawings yet, but the function is still the same. The updates just involve the type, and placement of the water inlet and overflow fittings. I planed it as a flood and drain system, but it can quickly be converted into a NFT system. The photo is the inspiration for my planed strawberry system.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.