View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 AM

I had noticed the plants looked a little pale, but it's hard to tell from the pictures whether it's just the picture lighting or not. I had miss read your post when you first said how you were mixing the nutrients. I was thrown off when you said the hydro shop guy said you didn't need to use the bloom with herbs. But if I understand correctly GH recommended to mix them like this

Gro.......5 mL
Micro.....7.5 mL
Bloom....2-3 mL

That's an interesting ratio, I would have expected the amounts of Gro and Micro to be more equal. Did they say why they recommend the Micro to be higher than the Gro? The overall strength is a little weaker than I would have expected also. I'm guessing that's because your growing in high temperatures, and thus the high rate of transpiration in warmer temps. Or perhaps basil has lower nutrient requirements (I don't know), or both.

Quote:
one question?
When flushing an ebb and flow for 4 hrs do you let it ebb for the full 4 hrs or cycle up and down???
Generally when referring to flushing like that they are talking about continuously running the water the whole time. However I don't particularly like to have the roots go so long without getting air. I also change the water a few times. First I like to flush the system just a few minuets longer than it takes to flood the system, then drain it. I like to do this a couple of times to get as much of the residual nutrient solution out as I can. Then I'll flush it with fresh water again to flush out the roots and growing medium, and let it run for 30 to 60 minutes at a time.

But I also drain and change the fresh water a few times here as well. Because as you flush the dissolved salts out, they concentrate in the water. But the more concentrated they become in the water, the less effective flushing tends to be. So I periodically change the flushing water to dilute the concentration of salts getting flushed out. Each time I drain and dump the flushing water, it allows the roots to get 10 to 15 minuets of fresh air while I dump and change the water.