View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 10:41 PM

Default best system for tomatoes?

ive decided to start splitting my systems up.. the hps lights on a smaller scale are inexpensive enough, and the efficiency is great enough that i can start growing vegetables with individual systems, and im going to start out with a tomato plant

for about $30 i can get a 100w HPS light which produces roughly 10,000 lumens, which should allow me to comfortable grow a tomato plant

my intention is to grow this thing in a 5 gallon bucket perhaps.. possibly with a drip system, or maybe even just deep water culture.. but thats my question

im either going to cage or trelis the tomato plant to keep it smaller, more compact... so im wondering which specific tomato varieties would have a greater yield in a smaller area?

another question.. do tomato plants do better in deep water culture, drip, or ebb and flow?

and lastly... when the tomato is to size... which light is going to allow me to grow fruits faster?.. hps, or metal halide?... i hear the MH lamps of an equal wattage will grow fruits faster where the hps of the same wattage will grow the green bits faster?.. is this true?.. and if so, would the MH be better for a fruit bearing plant like tomatoes.. while the HPS lights i should reserve for lettuces and such?