View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 AM

OK psFrontier. From what I can understand of your words, you are saying the roots get fed only during daylight when transpiration occurs. I have trouble understanding how that can be and perhaps it is why I never attempted anything more than a few rows of corn, some squash, beets and other garden veggies out in the dirt.

I guess what I'm trying to find (thank you for including the pictrue by the way) would be a diagram/timeline that show the flow of substances in the Xylem and in the Ploem with emphasis on when there is flow and when the substances are stagnant.

I'm trying to relate this ebb and flow throughout the plant with cell-division/growth. When do the roots grow ? When do the leaves grow ? Is it when they are fed ? When are they fed ?

In particular I am trying to find out if a shorter than 24 hour cycle might "pump" more nutrients up and food down if light and dark cycles were speeded up to say just for an example, an hour or so of each. Am I wrong in asuuming the dark cycle is necessary because it controls some hydraulic properties which help sustain the plant.