View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I have a general plant/gardening question. Does anyone here know if anything comes OUT of roots ?
I am no expert, but as I understand it some plants do indeed put out root exudates. Peas are legumes and put out root exudates that help foster a relationship with Nitrogen fixing microbes. It can also be a healing or defensive response to repel insect attack, or it can even be an offensive habit (to repel other incompatible or competitive plants). This may in fact be a factor with the pH problem I'm having with my pea plants.
Quote:
is there anything that the plant puts back into the solution which might be harmful to the plant and worth removing
Again I am no expert, but I'm sure the answer to that question would be plant specific. Although I am not sure how you would test for it without sending a sample to a lab. Though even if you did know exactly what, and how much a plant produced, not sure how you would go about separating it from the solution, other than just changing the entire solution. The best advice I would have is to do some research on the specific plants you are concerned about. Then if you find out that they do put out these exudates, just be aware of it and learn why the plants use them. Also if the plant in question is in the same system with other plants you may have a problem because as mentioned the exudates can be to repel other plants, so again the answer to weather it would be harmful would be plant specific.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-14-2010 at 07:43 AM.