View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Default new member considering hydroponics

I have been considering growing my food hydroponicly for a while now. I want to be able to grow more of my own food. The soil around my home is not the best.

Now my questions are as follows, sorry for the abrupt ness of this, my kids destroyed my keyboard. I put it back to gether, but its not the best.

i know that some foods need different systems, i just need help picking which ones i need.

there are a selection of root crops that i want to grow, such as turnips and carrots, beets and radishs. i also wish to grow various leaf crops, such as collard greens, spinach kale and chard and of course lettuce. i also plan to grow broccoli and green beens. Edit to add onions to that list.

the problem with root crops is to much water and they will rott and spoil. i know for them i would need a good grow medium. hydroton would not work for root crops But would perilite/vermiculite mix work, or is there some t hing else i should consider.

so i need to figure out which system i need to buy or build that would suit my needs.

From what i have seen, for the non root crops, i can use either a dwc or ebb and flow. my question is What is the differences between dwc and ebb aand flow, i just cant see a difference, but im new.

i have thought about a general hydroponics drip ring system, but for the life of me cant figure out how t hings grow in the middle of the drip ring, when no water./nutrients are dripped there. root crops like carrots require only a little space and one pot can hold many carrots, so i wounder how a drip ring would handle small root crops. sure it would work for a single potato plant, but i cant have potatos so no go there..

Id like to start with one system use it for as much as possible, i just dont know were to start. so which system would fit most if not all of my neeeds?

Thanks for reading this, i look forward to talking with you.

for