View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
So I take it that the air temp is ranging from 66 to 43 degrees at the moment.
Watering every 3 hours, but for how long is the pump pumping at a time (5 min, 30 min, 60 min etc.). I am asking because I'm wondering if the roots are being suffocated. Also with only one watering in 3 hours (unless it's a long one) they might not be getting enough water. Both situations could be a problem? It looks like you are watering more at night. With once for 3 hours during day, and twice in 4 hours at night (in other words, once every 2 hours at night). That would be odd, especially when the plants don't really need it at night.

P.S. Are you using an air pump and stone in the nutrient reservoir?
Not sure how deep the buckets are. I wanted to know where the water level in the buckets was in relation to the top of the growing medium. I was wondering if stem rot was setting in. Tomatoes are very susceptible to root and stem diseases and fungus, especially when small like that.
Well that is what I meant. If the leaves and stems are wet all the time, fungus could set in and be quite damaging to small tomato plants like that. Humid conditions aid in fungus because the leaves and stems don't get a chance to really dry, so they remain wet continuously.
I have no idea if that variety is a cool weather variety or not. Going by your chart and the maximum daytime high is 66 degrees, unless this is a cool weather variety it might not be suited for your cold conditions. You could either get a cool weather variety (if that isn't) or build a greenhouse for it, and heat the greenhouse.
Thanks for all your help. I really, really appreciate you taking the time.

Answers to questions.

1)You are right about the air temps. I live in north carolina and it's getting warmer but not quite the ideal temp range yet.

2)I am "flooding" my plants for 15 minute intervals. I was confusing and incorrect with my schedule, let me restate. I flood my plants for 15 minutes every flooding. My schedule is 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 10pm, 2am.
I do not have an airstone, I was told it was not needed in an ebb and flow system where air is sucked in by the ebbing and flowing of the water through the hydroton. I do currently have a pump circulating the nutrients that will be hooked up to an aquarium chiller once the weather warms up.
3) the buckets are 12"-16" I think. I placed the plants all the way down in the bottom of the bucket and then poured in the hydroton around them. I did this b/c in my experience dirt growing maters that's a great way to get fast healthy root growth. Does it not work the same way hydro?

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help a noob. It's greatly appreciated.