View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 AM

Glad to hear you are ok. I can't wait for this COVID to be over already. I'm waiting for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to come out before I get the shot. I am passing on the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. I read up on all 3 Johnson & Johnson vaccine works in a much different way than the other 2. Pfizer and Moderna protection is short whereas the J & J is very long lasting.

Tomato plants are very resilient. They will survive low temps as long as it doesn't hit 32 degrees or lower. Your plants are looking good!

With lettuce you better get them going fast cause when it gets hot out they tend to stop growing. If you want to try other lettuce types then yes buy some plants rinse off the soil from the roots and stick them in net pots. With the lettuce you like the most let 1 plant grow to flowering stage. When the flowers dry up you will get lots of seeds inside.

As for strawberries its harder to start from bare root. Buy plants that are already producing fruit rinse the soil off and put them in every 3rd spot on the rail. Get strawberry plants that are everbearing grow fruit all year. When it gets very hot during the summer they will develop runners. Let the runners grow into a very small pot with soil for at least 1-2 months so it will develop roots. Transplant them into net pots in between each plant so they can grow. You will get lots of runners so keep a bunch in soil pots for at least a year. You'll be able to transfer them at anytime to the rail system.

Strawberry plants will produce lots of fruit for 3-4 years then they tend to slow down. Thats why you need to save those runners to produce more plants to change out the old.

With veggies in rail system you just have to make sure the plants are not vines and stay short otherwise the roots will clog up the system. You can basically grow anything you want.

The brussel sprout plants are really big. Let me know how that turns out.

My seedlings have sprouted will transfer then to aeroponic soon. I will probably start earlier than usual due to the last 3 summers being some of the hottest we've ever had.