Thread: Broccoli
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I've never grown them Hydro but I have in dirt.

I'm in Brisbane which is pretty much warm through winter and hot in summer. I planted my first set in early spring and ended up with something that had more in comon with broccolini in that it was long tall and spread out. Temps 15c - 25c.

I tried again in the first week of winter when the temps would range between about 5c and 16c. Then I ended up with proper brocolli. 1 brocolli will produce enough for a couple of meals for a family of 4 in a meat and 3 veg type serving. If I had to guess I would say each plant produced about 500g of flower. I didn't try to get a second head out of them though and just cut them off and dug the plant in so can't comment on whether it would grow another. Harvest time was between 9 and 13 weeks.
Thanks for the info.
I am putting this system together right now and it will have 4 broccoli plants in it. They tell me when I bought the plants that it is supposed to get about 2 foot by 2 foot, but I think it will get a bit bigger than that. It's getting much cooler now and this should be the right time to do it. Because everything I have read about them tells me they like cool weather, and produce better heads when it is cool. I have read that after you cut off the first flower it would continue trying to grow more, and I certainly hope it will because financially it wouldn't be worth the cost of building the system if it doesn't. But well see, I will post pics of them when I get it going.

Actually I am going to be quite ambitious this time and be growing broccoli, tomato's, butter lettuce, spinach, snow peas and green beans, in 4 separate hydroponic systems. I will post the pics of all of them when I get them running.