View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 03:34 AM

Hello sean,
Before I forget there is a easier, and in my opinion a better way to add images to this forum. Most forums are old technology and require a URL to be posted. But here you can add them as an attachment directly from your computer in seconds. And they all get thumbnail images you can click on for the full size image. Just use the "Manage attachments" button just below where you type in the text, and browse to the file (picture) and click save file. That's how I attach all my pictures anyway.

Anyhow I'm familiar with all of those products. Looks like you were at Wal-Mart shopping today (so was I). I was even considering that same gray storage tote as a reservoir for a new system I plan for radishes, green onions, and chives. I would go with that brand of air pump myself (wal-mart only has two brands, in my town anyway). The other one claims to be whisper quiet, but I think their about the same. I've first bought the $22 one just for that reason, but bought one of the other type at a thrift store (brand new). Though it's a 5-15 gallon, it's not loud at all. Even if it were I would rather be able to buy 2 pumps (for the same price as the other brand) and double my air output, but need to insulate the sound. That's also the air stone (type) I would go with, the round ones seem to tend to clog and tear easily (and I haven't been able to clean them sufficiently without problems).

Make sure your air pump is at least 1 foot above the water line in the system Those check valves clog and are imposable to clean. By keeping the air pump well above the water line they wont be subjected to the mineral elements in the water that clog them. In fact If you keep the pump well above the water line you don't even need the check valve at all.

I don't see anything wrong, but I'm not sure If I remember how you plan to construct the system. If I'm not mistaken, you plan a water culture system like halfways. But you will need something to support the plants, those jiffy pots will just fall apart if they are not placed inside some kind of basket (to hang in the lid). Also, if you can upgrade, I would go with the $12, 20-60 gallon dual output air pump (next step up from that one). You can never get to much air to the roots, but if not it should do (but again, I forget what plants you plan to grow in the system).

P.S. just for fun of it, the parts in your pictures run about:
Air pump $7
Tubing $2.50
Air stone $2.50
Storage tote $4
Jiffy pot house $6

I was looking at all of them today at my Wal-mart, (as I do every time I go, as if the prices ever change). I was also looking for sand (that they didn't have in stock), I plan to use as part of a growing medium for the radishes, green onions, and chives.