View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 AM

sean
Ya, I was wondering because you said all that was left was to get was the nutrients. However, now I re-read, it and you said the pots as well. That makes plenty of scene, (sorry, my bad, you understood what I meant fine). All I would recommend is being careful with the roots when washing them off. Small young roots damage easily. Lettuce is particularly well suited for growing in water culture systems (that's technically what halfways system is), and a fine choice to start with (in my opinion). I always try to grow what I eat, and you say you will be able to make use of it, I see that as a great start.

P.S. I just thought it was funny that we both were at Wal-mart, looking at the same stuff, on the same day.

Twilly
Yes, there is a benefit to having air stones (and/or water circulation) in the water of a water culture system (regardless of the water level in relation to the roots). Air stones do both help circulate the water, and increase dissolved oxygen levels in the water. Besides a direct benefit to the plant, both of witch also help reduce pathogens and algae. The water movement also insures that the nutrient elements don't settle at the bottom of the reservoir and remain evenly mixed. Also with stagnate water there's likelihood of pockets of significant pH ranges, the water movement insures that doesn't happen. That's not to say the plants wont grow, just better conditions give better results. Plants have evolved over millions of years, and adjust the best they can to changing conditions, in the soil. Both above (foliage), and below (roots) in the ground. They also do the same in hydro.