View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks . Guess I'm not a total failure for my first try at hydroponics...hehe.

I was thinking I'd need to go back to an on/off cycle to try and curb the heat issue. I had only gone to the "always on" approach because I always heard a lot of people saying that the constant on/off cycles will significantly shorten the life of the pumps. But...I guess if it comes down to a choice of having to replace a $30 pump every so often vs. killing all my plants though...heh.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the lid. I've been trying to find different containers that are better suited to be adapted to this sort of application. Nothing at our local Walmart/Target stores yet, but I'm keeping my eye out. I've seen a few designs where folks use containers where the lids actually bubble upwards when placed normally on the container...and they simply flip them upside down and set them down in the container that way. Like you said, essentially causes the lid to drop down more and wouldn't allow the water a way to get up and over the lip of the container.

As far as moving these guys to their more permanent sites...would you recommend I go straight into a 3" pot or so (which seems to be what the average is folks use to take their plants to maturity in a mix aero/hyrdo system like I have)...or do I need to go in steps? Like maybe to a 1" or 2" pot first...then move to the 3" later?