Thread: 275 gal totes
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 AM

Yes, I'm very excited about it. I guess my mom's tired of hearing about my plans, and just wants me to get it going already. I know I will have a hard time sleeping tonight with my mind going a mile a minute. I need to call the lady at the bank in the morning to set up a time to go come in in the afternoon to fill out the paperwork for the trade name (needed for the business card). Herbs isn't my first choice, but it will give me the best profit for the square footage I have to work with in the beginning. Within a year I expect to be able to expand into other produce like peppers, strawberry's, tomato's, melons, specialty lettuce etc. as well. The herbs are just a starting point. I like taking a lot of pictures, and defiantly plan to share the build and experience in the forum.

Thanks fintuckyfarms, I expected them to be about 4 feet wide, but was hoping they would be taller than wider (like 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall). I will still look for them locally in town first, but if I need to the Arizona barrels is an option. Their in Glendale (right next to phoenix, about 5-6 hour drive), not sure how much delivery will be but I'm sure it would be over $100. But if I need to it's an option.

They'll be buried in the ground so 4 feet deep is a good size anyway. I will be altering them a bit. First I'll hot glue the the bottom opening to seal it shut for good, it will be 4 feet deep in the ground and I wont be able to get to it if it were to leak. Then I'll cut an opening in the top large enough for me to reach all the way in for cleaning. I'll use the part that I cut out as the new lid, then put a rim and handle on it so it fits flush but still lifts off easily for easy access. I'll create a boarder around the in-ground reservoir with pressure treated wood, or composite decking boards (I forget what the composite stuff is called right now). Then I'll cut a piece of 2 inch thick Styrofoam to fit above the reservoir, and glue it to a OSB board for a lid. Completely insulating it in the ground. I can draw up an image if anyone wants (I know it helps to visualize things sometimes).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-12-2011 at 05:20 AM.