View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
When I make appeal to an expert opinion I am talking in general of course.
Well then I guess I am a expert then under those conditions also.
Quote:
Furthermore I'm just appealing to common sense
That is exactly what I am referring to, but what is common in this country must be different than what's common in that one.
Quote:
The actual poster most probably got already sick of the debate.
That is what usually what happens when you get that way, that's what disappointing me the most. You drive off all the people who may have good information, leaving only you.
Quote:
Do you really recommend people growing tomato with 122-128 °
I would and am.
Quote:
either anyway, no matter how I put them: Do you really recommend people growing tomato with 122-128 ° Fahrenheit, and implicitly tell them they need to dig out holes that are big enough to accommodate a sniper
sniper would never be able to fit in the hole I dug, it's only 30 inches (wanted 36) deep and less than 2 feet wide. It took so much to dig because of the type of ground we have here. If I needed it deeper/bigger, I would just rent a backhoe.
Quote:
plus half of a green house structure around
I never suggested to place the greenhouse structure underground.
Quote:
and the whole enchilada of insulation and all the other stuff that goes with one of your desert setups, - to just grow 4 tomato plants?
I already did it for four tomato plants and it only cost about $100 for the whole enchilada.
As posted in this thread:
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...y-tomatos.html
Quote:
Goodness, the expenditure doesn't justify the outcome, no matter how. Not for amateur purposes and not for any facility expansion. And that's exactly (not more and not less) what I am talking about. And one doesn't need to have a PhD in neuro-surgery nor being any expert in any field, to question the expenditure -not even talking about the rentability.

It's all so obvious and yet you apparently can't see any of your views and ideas being actually very uncommon and in fact a prime example of an economically unbearable venture!?
Babble, babble, babble. None of this can take away from anything I know or have done.
Quote:
You said that you want to do a living of it in the near future. Have you ever made the maths of your investments (including the labor that would be needed for the expansion of those 4 plants) versus your yield or income?
I would never make an income from 4 plants. Home gardeners are not trying to make a profit, just spend less at the market. Yes I have done a feasibility study with the SBDA concerning profitability, as well as marketability. There is no guarantees with regards to agriculture (soil or hydro), so I cant (nor can anyone else) guarantee anything. There is a verifiable market. I know what I have done (grown), I also know the hazards and hurdles for my projects in my environment for a commercial project. As well as projected yields (per plant, Highs and lows). But if there was a guaranteed everyone would be doing it.

Quote:
Whats the idea behind a geothermal reservoir GpsFrontier?
Geothermal energy is simply the transfer of heat into the ground. The ground sucks the heat out of anything placed deep enough (3-5 feet). Ever been in a cool cave in the hot summer? Geothermal is the ground, energy is the transfer of heat. Once you build it, it's free energy. The key is making maintenance easy with good contact, that's where my plans differ a little from most.
Quote:
Tomato pollen is sterile when temps hit that high (day and night), tried growing them during summer on a sheltered balcony where it was about 45 Celsius day
Sorry to hear that, I had great luck with mine. It's quite possible there were other variables involved. I would continue until I figured things out. Then you can adjust things on a larger scale if needed.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-22-2010 at 09:29 AM.