View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
Another problem I see is Corn roots are very shallow, and I don't think he will have enough material to hold the plants up. Corn can be knocked over very easily.

As far a number of ears, the most you can get from 1 plant is 2 or 3 ears, most will only produce 1 or 2. It seems like a big effort for little return.
This is my biggest concern. For me it would need to economical to grow. I am thinking of using a wading pool (like the small plastic ones you get for your kids). Something like 1 1/2 feet deep and 8-10 feet wide. Again it would need to be economical, so the large amount of growing medium and cost of it could be a problem. Using gravel is a good start but it would need something that can retain moisture but not be expensive to be worth the cost. For something that large I would most likely go with a drip system also.
Quote:
Another problem I see is Corn roots are very shallow, and I don't think he will have enough material to hold the plants up. Corn can be knocked over very easily.
Lushes had an idea for the extended tubing support that I think would work. Although with all the plants I don't think there would be enough root space for that many full grown plants. Even with the nutrients being delivered to the plants roots so the plants don't need to search out nutrients from soil, corn can grow 8 feet tall as far as I know and the plants need root space to mature and be full size. It's hard to tell from the video but those plants don't look to be more than 4 or 5 feet tall, also there is no way to tell how large the corn cobs actually got.