View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I certainly don't have a PhD in botany or anything like that so I can't sit here and say it's 100% true, but I've uncovered other research that supports this idea as well so it was at least not something I'm willing to totally dismiss either.
I don't have a PhD in botany either, though I would like to because it would come in handy. Sorry, I am not trying to imply that you do dismiss it. Its good to see someone take the time to look for answers and not just believe the first thing you find. I too like to find information form different sources so I can piece the truth together from it.
Quote:
I also think you might be over estimating potential growth. Various sources, plant encyclopedias, etc all suggest that most of the plants I'm growing will average a "mature size" ranging between 2 to 4 feet. The bhut and habaneros I've seen estimated a bit larger than that, but not dramatically so. You're suggesting they will grow to 10+ feet and I just don't know they will get that large.
My estimation of 10 times bigger might be an over estimation but I didn't mean to imply they would get anywhere near 10 feet tall. If they did, the system I built for my pepper plants would have been waaay to small. By your pictures they look to be 6 to 8 inches tall, but my 10 times bigger was more referring to the potential of the total mass of the full grown plant and not just the height. If I were to give a size I would probably say 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

Although given the right conditions (as is possible with hydroponics) plants of all kinds generally grow faster and bigger than in soil. So if given the right conditions I would not be surprised to see a pepper plant grow to be 3 to 4 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet tall. Of course there many different variety's of peppers as well as hybrids of those variety's, so any plants potential should really be based on the exact variety and weather it is hybridized. That's kind of why I keep saying I'm not familiar with the pepper plants you are growing.
Quote:
Yeah...that was merely an attempt at a joke.
Ya I know, I completely got it. Just thought I would through out an example based on my own experiences. Not sure who coined the phrase "interweb" but I think I first herd it on Jay Leno a while back, and I laughed my but off.