Thread: NFT Lettuce
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default lettuce/root edible plant

I was at wally world and they dont have kids pools this time of year. But as soon as i can find a kiddy pool i'm going to float some leafy lettuce type plants and carrats radishes any thing with a edible root.

I'm thinking i will just cut out holes for the plants that will be on styrafoam in net pots. then place a black poly sheet over the whole thing and cut out the holes for the net pots with a x in the plastic so when i shove in the net pot it will tuck the fold of the poly into the foam with it so that the plant cant slide under the palstic or move around. pus it blocks out the light to the roots and water. toss in a really small pond pump i have for circualtiona and a place to fill it and test the solution.

I like the floating idea becuase if you water by hand unless the pool runs out of water the plant is always in the solution at the correct depth. I like the idea of carrot or beat hanging down under the net pot.

I think this would make a great strawberry grow as well with florecent bulbs the lenght of the pool.

about the previuos post/roots dont rot when there wet all the time unless the water is to warm and there is no oxygen? root rot is just that you have created a hydro composter. cool the water add some air stones and those roots no mater how they come into conact with soltuion will be white and thrive.

Years ago i bought a heater core for a chevy pick up. its all aluminum and plastic i put in just after the pump and placed a big computer styel cooling fan on it. I had a dayton air temp control that switched on and off a realy. i bent the thermometer down to touch the water in the resivoier and hooked the fan to its relay switch which i think was points contact like a fish heater.

i could know 5 to 15 degrrees off the solution depending on room tempeture. Now i build chillers out of wall shakers. but where i live just having the nutes on the concrete floor sucks enough heat out of them unless it summer then i have afreezer with some plastic rectangle planters i bought that make a very large ice cube that last all day dropped in a 5 gallon bucket for those really hot august days for a week or two.