Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM

I probably should also suggest (just in case) when you set the float valve, make sure it's set at the height when the system is filly flooded (unless it's a NFT system where it's running all the time). This way it will only replace the water that was used. If it's set at the top of the reservoir it will continue to add water the whole time the system is running (because the water level drops) until the system overflows. Also the reserve tank would need to be a few feet above the nutrient reservoir, because the water would be gravity feed (unless you use a pump for it).

As for a system for replenishing nutrients unfortunitly I can't see a way to do it that would not involve PPM/TDS or EC sensors, a computer to do the calculations and the injection system. I can build the injection system, but it would need the computer and sensors to control the output. There are available systems that do this like in this thread: http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...ix-system.html, but their not cheep starting at about $1000 for a base unit. But if you add a diluted nutrient solution to the replenishment tank, that can help replenish the nutrients that were used. Although you will want to check the PPM/TDS and or EC daily in order to exactly how diluted it should be to make sure your nutrient solution stays at a constant level.

You can run a water line directly from a water pipe without using a reserve tank. But then you wont be able to control the water quality, pH, or nutrients. If the pH of the water in the replenishment tank is correct you shouldn't have pH fluctuations in the hydro system. Love to see pictures of your system/progress when you can.